What Questions Might Your Healthcare Provider Ask To Diagnose And Categorize Your Hair Loss
Your healthcare provider might ask about your habits:
- What kinds of hair products do you use?
- What kinds of hair styles do you wear?
- What types of food do you eat ?
- Do you have a habit of pulling your hair out ?
They might ask about your history:
- Has anyone in your immediate family experienced hair loss?
- Is there anything stressful going on in your life?
- What medications and supplements do you take every day?
- Has hair loss ever happened to you before?
- What foods are in your diet?
And, they might ask about your observations:
- How long have you been losing hair?
- Have you been shedding more?
- Have you noticed hair loss in places other than your scalp, like your eyebrows? Leg and arm hair?
- Does anything worsen your hair loss?
- Does anything improve your hair loss?
- Have you noticed hair loss occasionally or has it been going on continuously?
- Have you noticed if your hair growth has changed?
- Has your hair been breaking more often?
Dont Misuse Or Overuse Hair Products
Hair color, sprays, gels, and other hair styling products wont make you go bald, but using them too frequently or incorrectly can damage the hair follicles that are responsible for hair growth.
Follow these tips on how to prevent hair loss in women caused by hair product overuse or misuse:
- Test a small amount first to ensure youre not allergic to the chemicals. A 41-year-old woman lost 90% of hair and had severe scalp itching after using a dye containing para phenylenediamine . The hair loss and itching were allergic reactions to the chemical.
- Apply the hair color about ½ an inch from your roots. Avoid contact with the scalp.
- Dont leave the hair color in for too long. Otherwise, chemicals will build up on your scalp and cause itchiness and hair damage. Follow the product manufacturers recommended time.
- After the recommended time, wash and blow-dry your hair properly. Then to ensure that the color stays longer, dont wash it again for 24 hours.
What Is The Difference Between Trichotillomania And Obsessive
TTM falls under the overall category of obsessive-compulsive disorder, but it has some key differences from OCD itself.
- Obsessions. OCD involves obsessions, which are thoughts or urges that a person cant control and doesnt want. TTM doesnt involve obsessions.
- Feeling of reward. When people with TTM pull out their hair, they often feel relief or other positive emotions. OCD doesnt involve positive feelings in that way.
You May Like: Woman Size 10 In Mens
Traction Alopecia Hair Loss
Got Afro hair? Listen up… If you love a protective style, make sure youre giving your hair a break in between. The most common cause of hair loss in this hair type is traction alopecia. This is the hair loss caused by repeated and prolonged tensile forces applied to the follicles through wearing certain hairstyles such as braids and long dreadlocks, warns Dr Wong. The pattern of hair loss mirrors where the hair is under the most strain and this is typically over the edges/hairline. Just make sure youre going easy on your edges so theyre in it for the long haul.
The Thyroid Disease Connection
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland that rests in the front base of the neck. It secretes thyroid hormones that are used by every cell in the body. Theres a connection between hair loss in women and thyroid disease. Imbalances in thyroid hormone levels are a common reason for hair loss in women. Too much thyroid hormone and too little thyroid hormone may both trigger hair loss. Other symptoms of hyperthyroidism include weight loss, rapid heart rate, inability to fall asleep or stay asleep, and anxiety. In addition to hair loss, hypothyroidism may be associated with weight gain, fatigue, feeling cold, slow heart rate, and constipation. Luckily, thyroid hormone imbalances are easily detectable with blood tests. Treatment helps alleviate symptoms, including hair loss.
You May Like: Kansas City Women’s Clinic
How Is Postpartum Hair Loss Treated
There’s no treatment for postpartum hair loss, but these steps can help your hair feel fuller and prevent further hair loss and damage:
- Choose a shampoo and conditioner that add volume. Volumizing shampoos and lighter conditioners can add body to your hair. You may have to experiment to find products that work best for your hair type.
- Treat your hair with care. Be gentle when washing and combing your hair. Use lower heat settings on blow dryers and styling irons to prevent damage. Avoid tight ponytails and braids that can add tension to your hair and lead to more hair loss.
- Try a different hairstyle. Shorter cuts may give your hair a fuller appearance. They are also easier to take care of, which can be helpful when you have a new baby.
Also make sure youre getting the nutrients you need for hair growth with a healthy diet. Talk to your provider about vitamins to supplement your diet.
What Is The Best Home Remedy For Hair Loss
Onion juice is one of the best remedies for hair loss due to its high sulfur content, which improves blood flow to hair follicles, reduces inflammation and regenerates hair follicles.
Saw palmetto hair lossDoes saw palmetto can really stop hair loss? Researchers hope it can also slow or stop hair loss. In fact, the enzyme-blocking ingredients in Saw Palmetto work in the same way as the synthetic ingredients in prescription hair loss medications. However, research on the efficacy of saw palmetto in treating hair loss is limited.Does saw palmetto work as a hair loss treatment?Despite limited research, Saw Palmetto has be
Also Check: Can Kidney Disease Cause Hair Loss
Read Also: Kentucky Derby Women’s Attire
Coping With Hair Loss
While losing hair at a young age may be concerning, hair loss is a reality for many people as they age. One study posted to the Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology noted that up to 75% of females would experience hair loss from androgenetic alopecia by the time they are 65 years old.
While many females look for ways to treat hair loss while they are young, at some point, most people accept hair loss as a natural part of the aging process.
Some people may choose to wear head garments or wigs as a workaround to hair loss. Others work with their aging hair by wearing a shorter haircut that may make thin hair less apparent.
Supplements For Supple Hair
You can make sure youre getting your nutrients in with a whole-food diet of colorful fruits and veggies . But, you can also consider taking a multivitamin specially designed for hair, skin, and nail health.
Getting your vitamins and minerals is crucial for healthy hair. The most important nutrients for hair growth include:
Don’t Miss: High Top Sneakers For Women
Finding Effective Quality Hair Thickening Supplements
There are several key elements to look out for that can pretty much guarantee the products authenticity.
Monitoring by a Third Party: There are organizations that will independently monitor and track the reputation of a company and assess their customer satisfaction levels. A companys reputation is incredibly important within the health industry, make sure you select a top provider, one that has an impeccable reputation and one that is backed by an independent third party monitoring organization.
100% Money Back Guarantee: Many companies offer you a money back guarantee if their products do not bring the results that you are looking for. Some are better than others. Choose a company who has a solid satisfaction guarantee. A strong guarantee demonstrates the confidence that manufacturers have in their products.
External Testing: This is not the same as a monitoring company. Third party testing substantiates and verifies the quality of the manufacturers product. It can be very expensive for manufacturers to undertake and even disqualify entire shipments of products that dont reach the correct standards. That said, when manufacturers dont have independent quality control and testing, there is no way of knowing if their products are effective, or indeed, safe.
Is Dealing With A Medical Condition That Causes Excessive Hair Growth The First Step To Getting Rid Of Facial Hair Permanently
If you have a medical condition that is leading to excessive hair growth, you should make all the effort to contain the disease first. Studies show that PCOS accounts for about 72 to 82 per cent of excessive hair growth cases. So, if you have been diagnosed with PCOS, you should deal with the problem on a war footing. There are several ways the medical condition can be addressed. If you are overweight and have been diagnosed with PCOS, losing weight by adopting a healthy lifestyle can help regularise your menstrual cycle. Experts say that losing weight reduces your insulin levels, resulting in lower testosterone levels, which in turn not only improves fertility but also reduces visible symptoms such as excessive hair growth and acne.
Oral contraceptive pills are widely prescribed for PCOS. Apart from this, hormone medications to reduce testosterone and stimulate ovulation and drugs, such as metformin, to treat diabetes are also prescribed. Surgery to remove large cysts and destroy the tissue that produces androgens is usually considered the last option.
Tip: Exercise, eat healthy and fight obesity to control PCOS problems.
Also Check: Women’s Nike Sportswear Fleece Pants
How Will A Healthcare Provider Diagnose Hair Loss In Women What Tests Are Done
The tests performed to diagnose hair loss in women can be simple or complicated:
- Gently pulling on your hair to see how many hairs come out.
- Blood tests. These check for vitamin and mineral levels and hormone levels .
- Scalp examination under a microscope and trichoscopy.
- Scalp biopsy to remove and examine a very small piece of scalp skin.
Why Is My Hair Thinning
Its normal to lose up to 100 hairs per day as part of the normal hair growth cycle, according to Dr. Ziering. Under normal circumstances, every strand grows for a few years, rests for a few months, and then sheds, before a new strand sprouts from the same follicle, he says.If the growing phase is interrupted, you can start to lose strands at a faster rate and notice hair thinning.
You might also start sprouting finer hair than you used to, which can likewise contribute to overall thinning. With the most common cause of thinning, which is genetic hair loss, over time the hairs just become wimpier, weaker, and what is called miniaturized,’ says Dr. Ziering. So they go from being strong what are referred to as terminal hairs to wimpy, what are called vellus, baby-like hairsHair loss can occur with the absence of hair follicles, but its more common to see the follicles become smaller in diameter.
There are many possible causes of hair thinning, so you may have to touch base with a doctor to understand the cause of your concern, whether its reversible, and if so, how to treat it. Most commonly, one of the following issues is to blame for the thinning of hair, according to Dr. Ziering.
Dont Miss: How To Slow Down Genetic Hair Loss
Read Also: Cozy Earth Women’s Pajamas
Massage Your Scalp With Olive Oil
Massaging your scalp with olive oil stimulates blood flow to hair follicles, which improves circulation and strengthens hair roots.
This promotes hair growth by increasing oxygen levels and reducing stress on your follicles.
In some cases, it can even improve those pesky thinning-hair issues! Massage your scalp with a few drops of olive oil twice daily for optimal results.
Start slowyou dont want to irritate already stressed-out scalp tissuesand always use a carrier oil like almond or coconut if you have any type of sensitivity.
The best times to massage are just before bed or while showering, as hot water opens up pores and encourages circulation. Bonus: Olive oil is also an excellent conditioner!
What Are The Common Causes Of Hair Loss In Women
What causes hair loss?
- Hair style: Your style of hair can cause hair loss when your hair is arranged in ways that pull on your roots, like tight ponytails, braids, or corn rows. This type of hair loss is called traction alopecia. If hair follicles are damaged, the loss can be permanent.
- Vitamin deficiency.
- Over processed scalp hair .
What causes anagen effluvium hair loss?
- Toxic substances, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy and some medications. These cause sudden hair loss that can occur anywhere on your body. It happens to hair in the growth stage. Sometimes, this type of hair loss can be permanent if your hair follicles are damaged.
What causes telogen effluvium hair loss?
- Extreme physical stress or shock to your body: This causes temporary hair loss. This category includes events like losing a lot of weight, surgery, anemia, illness and having a baby.
- Extreme emotional stress: mental illness, the death of a loved one, etc.
- An abnormal thyroid.
- Medications and supplements: blood pressure medicines, gout medicines and high doses of Vitamin A.
- Hormone changes caused by pregnancy, menopause or birth control pills.
What causes FPHL ?
- Genes: Your familys genes can cause thinning of hair along the top of your head.
- Aging: Hormone changes as you age can cause balding.
- Menopause: This type of hair loss often gets worse when estrogen is lost during menopause.
There are also some conditions that affect hair loss:
Recommended Reading: Michael Kors Jackets For Women
A Dermatologists Diagnosis Is Best Before Treating Hair Loss
If you think you have FPHL, its important to see a dermatologist for a diagnosis. Women develop hair loss for many reasons. Other common causes of hair loss in women can look a lot like FPHL. Each of these causes requires different treatment. Without the right treatment, hair loss often continues.
You can find a dermatologist in your area by going to Find a Dermatologist.
What Are The Myths About Hair Loss
Myths about hair loss are widespread. Nothing in the following list is true:
- Youre losing hair because you shampoo it too much, or because youve colored it or gotten a perm.
- Dandruff causes permanent hair loss in women.
- Stress causes permanent hair loss in women.
- If you shave your head, your hair will grow back twice as thick.
- If you stand on your head youll increase circulation, stimulating hair growth.
- If you brush your hair 100 strokes a day that will make your hair healthier.
- Hats and wigs cause hair loss in women.
- Hair loss only affects intellectual women.
Also Check: Most Comfortable Women’s Walking Shoes
Are There Other Treatment Options For Fphl
Women want innovative treatments for FPHL. To meet this need, researchers continue to look for new ways to stimulate hair growth and stop hair breakage. Other treatments that you may find for FPHL include the following.
Lasers for at-home use: The FDA has approved laser combs, helmets, and other devices, which are available without a prescription, to treat hair loss at home. These devices emit a low level of laser light that may help stimulate new hair growth. A few studies show that this can be effective for treating FPHL.
As with minoxidil and prescription medicines, you must continue using an at-home laser device to see results. We still do not know whether these devices are safe for long-term use or if they can continue to produce new hair growth.
Platelet-rich plasma therapy:
It is believed the platelets help stimulate your cells to grow hair.
Researchers are just beginning to study this therapy as a treatment for hair loss. The early findings show promise, but more studies are needed to know whether this is a safe and effective treatment for FPHL.
Stem cells: Using stem cells to treat FPHL is still in the experimental stages. Like platelet-rich plasma therapy, more studies are needed to know whether stem cells are a safe and effective treatment for FPHL.
Hair loss shampoos: These shampoos tend to do one of the following.
Help your hair hold moisture, which makes hair look fuller and thicker
Lessen breakage, which can reduce thinning
What Is The Prognosis/outlook For Women With Hair Loss
Your diagnosis determines the prognosis:
- Anagen and telogen shedding may stop with time.
- Treat any diseases associated with hair loss.
- Disguise or cover your hair loss using a wig or hat.
- Early treatment of alopecia may reduce the speed of thinning and may promote regrowth.
While hair loss is not itself dangerous, women with hair loss tend to be very upset by the changes to their appearance. These negative feelings can affect self-esteem and social lives. Recent studies suggest that FPHL can be associated with conditions that include metabolic syndrome, endocrine disorders and diabetes.
Recommended Reading: Women’s Wool Blend Coat
Surgical Hair Loss Treatment
- Hair Transplants. Hair transplants are a popular option for hair restoration. During this procedure, hair follicles are taken from another part of your body and transplanted to the balding area.
- Follicular unit hair transplant. This treatment method offers permanent natural results to candidates with no scars or stitches from the donor area.
Reverse Thinning Hair With Prp Therapy
For nearly 20 years, orthopedic doctors have used platelet-rich plasma to treat people who suffered with joint injuries and other painful conditions, such as osteoarthritis or rotator cuff tears. Now the evolving therapy is showing great promise for hair restoration. If youre struggling with hair loss, youre not alone. Nearly 80 million American adults roughly 50 million men and 30 million women are losing their hair.
At Parkland Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery, a popular dermatology clinic in Coral Springs, Florida, our founder Dr. Alexis Stephens reverses hair loss with groundbreaking PRP treatments. Here she answers questions about the procedure and what you can expect.
Also Check: How To Combat Hair Loss In Women
Don’t Miss: Women’s Business Casual Clothes